Tunbridge Wells Man Jailed

Man subjected partner to repeated abuse

A controlling partner from Tunbridge Wells who subjected a woman to repeated physical and mental abuse has been sentenced to prison. Stephen Ives was jailed after pleading guilty to a string of violent offences which included biting his victim and holding her head under water.

Ives, aged 34, was responsible for a prolonged and sustained period of abuse over almost a year.

Catalogue of abuse

During one incident, on 11 April 2021, he followed the victim after she had filled a bath. Ives grabbed her by the throat with both hands and then pushed her under water, so her head was fully submerged.

Briefly leaving the property, Ives then demanded a phone from a neighbour which he used to send the woman abusive messages.

On his return, he continued to beat and torment his victim. As she attempted to call police, Ives emptied a bin onto her.

He was arrested shortly after, and an investigation established Ives had been responsible for a catalogue of abuse and assaults between June 2020 and April 2021.

Appearing before Maidstone Crown Court, Ives, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to four counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

On 23 June 2021, he was sentenced to two years and three months’ imprisonment.

Support for victims

PC Dan Holding, of the West Kent Vulnerability Investigation Team, said:
‘Ives continuously abused, isolated and tormented his victim during the vast majority of their relationship. He has subjected her to the most appalling violence, which was often fuelled by alcohol.'I would like to thank and commend the victim in this case, who has shown incredible courage and strength to give her evidence, having also endured relentless mental anguish, often intended to humiliate and degrade her.‘

Domestic violence is a priority for Kent Police and nobody should ever feel they have nowhere to turn. I would encourage anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation or relationship to report it to someone and get help.'There is a range of support and information available, just phone us or ask a trusted friend or relative to do it. Nobody should ever feel they don’t have the option to walk away or get help.’

More from WEST KENT NEWS

  • Bassetts Farm

    Councillors have approved the building of 120 new homes in the village of Horsmonden.

  • "Devastating" changes

    Leading Tunbridge Wells hospitality businesses have teamed up with the local MP Mike Martin to highlight cost rises which they say are "potentially ruinous".

  • Candidates Tonbridge

    The Green Party will be defending two seats in Tonbridge at the final Kent County Council elections on May 1st.

  • Candidates Tun Wells

    Most Tunbridge Wells residents will have 7 parties to choose from at the Kent County Council elections.

  • Due to Open in 2028

    Councillors have agreed on a central Tonbridge location for the replacement for the Angel Leisure Centre.

  • Vote on May 1

    Elections to Kent County Council take place next month for the last time before the authority is abolished.

  • Glare Concerns

    Sainsbury’s in Tunbridge Wells wants to install solar panels, prompting complaints from some local residents.

  • "More Efficient" Future

    Audio

    Tunbridge Wells MP Mike Martin of the Liberal Democrats has said local government changes in Kent will overall be "a good thing."

On Air Now Rayan C 8:00pm - 10:00pm
Now Playing
Red Alert Basement Jaxx
Recently Played
  • Jump To The Beat Stacy Lattisaw 20:49
  • Two Can Play At That Game Bobby Brown 20:46
  • Too Many Broken Hearts Jason Donovan 20:42

COMING UP

  • Marion Westram

    10:00pm - 11:00pm

    West Kent Rocks

  • The Wind Down

    11:00pm - 2:00am

    The Wind Down