Tunbridge Wells burglar trapped by DNA

Man sentenced to three years and three months’ imprisonment

A brazen burglar who targeted properties near Tunbridge Wells is starting a prison sentence.

On 7 August 2023Gary Bentley went to a house in Lower Green Road, Pembury and stole food items along with a knife, after damaging a door and window. A garden fork was recovered by officers in the rear garden and Bentley’s DNA was later recovered from the handle.

At around the same time, Bentley broke into a residence in Maidstone Road using some garden shears and stole some jewellery. He was also forensically linked to this burglary.

Necklace recovered

Investigators completed enquiries with local jewellers and other outlets in an effort to trace some of the stolen property. They found Bentley had deposited a necklace at a business in Tonbridge on 10 August. It was later identified as having been stolen during a Tunbridge Wells break-in earlier in the year.

Bentley subsequently went to a building in Stone Court Lane on 18 December and stole some cash after using a handsaw to damage a door. The police were alerted to the incident and traces of Bentley’s DNA were later found on the saw.

On 19 January 2024, Bentley, of no fixed address, was tracked down and arrested. He was charged and later pleaded guilty to three burglaries and handling stolen property. He also admitted committing criminal damage at a property in Oast Gardens, Pembury during November 2023.

Jailed

Bentley, 46, appeared before Maidstone Crown Court on Monday 15 July and was sentenced to three years and three months’ imprisonment. Two further burglaries and two attempted burglaries were ordered to lie on file.

Detective Constable Celia King said: ‘Bentley is a prolific criminal who has shown a complete disregard for the impact his crimes would have on the victims. Burglary can leave residents fearful in their own homes and he should be ashamed of his actions.
‘Our investigators will leave no stone unturned in our efforts to track down these offenders and, once we had linked Bentley forensically to some of the crime scenes, it was only a matter of time before we located him and brought him before the court.’

Source: Kent Police

More from WEST KENT NEWS

  • Bassetts Farm

    Councillors have approved the building of 120 new homes in the village of Horsmonden.

  • "Devastating" changes

    Leading Tunbridge Wells hospitality businesses have teamed up with the local MP Mike Martin to highlight cost rises which they say are "potentially ruinous".

  • Candidates Tonbridge

    The Green Party will be defending two seats in Tonbridge at the final Kent County Council elections on May 1st.

  • Candidates Tun Wells

    Most Tunbridge Wells residents will have 7 parties to choose from at the Kent County Council elections.

  • Due to Open in 2028

    Councillors have agreed on a central Tonbridge location for the replacement for the Angel Leisure Centre.

  • Vote on May 1

    Elections to Kent County Council take place next month for the last time before the authority is abolished.

  • Glare Concerns

    Sainsbury’s in Tunbridge Wells wants to install solar panels, prompting complaints from some local residents.

  • "More Efficient" Future

    Audio

    Tunbridge Wells MP Mike Martin of the Liberal Democrats has said local government changes in Kent will overall be "a good thing."

On Air Now Chris Manser 4:00pm - 7:00pm
Now Playing
Lonely Boy Andrew Gold
Recently Played
  • A Thousand Miles Vanessa Carlton 16:10
  • Baby Come Back Pato Banton 16:07
  • Criticize Alexander O'neal 16:02

COMING UP

  • Victoria Scott

    7:00pm - 8:00pm

    Pure 00's sponsored by Southborough Lions

  • Rayan C

    8:00pm - 10:00pm

    Ready For The Weekend