Recycling Collections Halted

Tonbridge residents find their recycling collections suspended.

Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council has been forced to suspend collections of household recycling bins due to a national shortage of truck drivers.

Householders in the borough are being asked not to put out green-lidded recycling bins and green boxes to allow crews to catch up with a backlog of missed collections. Black bins for non-recyclable material, food waste caddies, and garden waste bins are currently being collected as normal.

Like many other waste service providers, the council’s contractor, Urbaser, has been struggling with a shortage of drivers in recent months. Shortages have been most severe in crews dedicated to recycling rounds.

Urbaser says it needs to suspend recycling collections for a further two weeks to catch up. The council expects full service to be resumed from Monday 12 July and has issued the following advice which applies to green-lidded bin and box collections only:

  • Residents with outstanding recycling collections from last week (14-18 June) should leave their bins out. These collections should be completed by Saturday 26 June
  • Recycling collections due this week (21-25 June) and for the next two weeks (28 June-9 July) have been suspended

Black bins (non-recyclable material), food caddies, and garden waste will continue to be collected on the scheduled days. During this period, residents due a black bin collection may also put out their green bins and boxes. The waste will be combined and used to generate electricity.

Recycling banks for paper, cans, plastic, and glass are also available across the borough.

Haulage organisations have attributed the national shortage of heavy goods drivers to a combination of Brexit and the Covid-19 pandemic. It’s affecting a number of councils across the country as well as national supermarkets and delivery firms.

Like other parts of the UK, Tonbridge and Malling have also seen big increases in the amount of waste being produced by households during lockdown. Large numbers of people are still working from home and a surge in online shopping has seen the volume of cardboard and other material being collected up by an average of 30 percent. The increases have meant trucks fill up quicker and have to make more frequent trips to empty their loads, leading to delays in completing rounds.

Javier Peiro, Managing Director, Urbaser Ltd, said:
‘We would like to apologise to residents for this disruption to their recycling service and reiterate that we remain committed to recommencing collections as soon as possible. A significant upturn in waste and recycling volumes, combined with a national driver shortage exacerbated by the lack of driver training and testing during the pandemic, means that we are struggling to address the current shortfall. However, we are taking positive steps to address the issue and this brief suspension of the service will help us to consolidate our resources and resume recycling collections.’

Cllr Robin Betts, the council’s cabinet lead on waste and recycling, said:
‘We recognise the frustration that residents feel when their bins are not collected. Unfortunately, in recent weeks the shortage of drivers both nationally and in our borough has become acute and a brief suspension is the best way to get things back on track. I’d like to apologise for the inconvenience this is causing and assure everyone that we are working hard behind the scenes with Urbaser to overcome this short-term issue and ensure residents get the service they expect.’

More from WEST KENT NEWS

  • Bassetts Farm

    Councillors have approved the building of 120 new homes in the village of Horsmonden.

  • "Devastating" changes

    Leading Tunbridge Wells hospitality businesses have teamed up with the local MP Mike Martin to highlight cost rises which they say are "potentially ruinous".

  • Candidates Tonbridge

    The Green Party will be defending two seats in Tonbridge at the final Kent County Council elections on May 1st.

  • Candidates Tun Wells

    Most Tunbridge Wells residents will have 7 parties to choose from at the Kent County Council elections.

  • Due to Open in 2028

    Councillors have agreed on a central Tonbridge location for the replacement for the Angel Leisure Centre.

  • Vote on May 1

    Elections to Kent County Council take place next month for the last time before the authority is abolished.

  • Glare Concerns

    Sainsbury’s in Tunbridge Wells wants to install solar panels, prompting complaints from some local residents.

  • "More Efficient" Future

    Audio

    Tunbridge Wells MP Mike Martin of the Liberal Democrats has said local government changes in Kent will overall be "a good thing."

On Air Now Chris Manser 4:00pm - 7:00pm
Now Playing
Baby Come Back Pato Banton
Recently Played
  • Criticize Alexander O'neal 16:02
  • Local Weather West Kent Radio 16:02
  • News West Kent Radio 15:59

COMING UP

  • Victoria Scott

    7:00pm - 8:00pm

    Pure 00's sponsored by Southborough Lions

  • Rayan C

    8:00pm - 10:00pm

    Ready For The Weekend