Borough Offers Sanctuary to Afghan Families

Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council is joining the national effort

Tonbridge & Malling Borough Council is to offer sanctuary to Afghan nationals forced to flee their homeland.

Kim Tanner, the council’s cabinet member for housing, today pledged to offer homes to Afghans whose lives are at risk following the resurgence of Taliban forces.

The council is planning to work with private sector landlords to secure accommodation for refugees and has urged those with suitable good quality property for rent to get in touch.

The government yesterday announced plans for a new resettlement scheme in addition to the existing Afghan relocation and assistance policy which has seen more than 2,000 people who worked with the government and armed forces brought to the UK. The new scheme is expected to offer homes in the UK to 5,000 people in its first year and about 20,000 in total.

The council has previously stepped forward to support the Syrian refugee scheme, providing accommodation for up to 12 families. As with existing schemes, the homes offered will be in the private rented sector to avoid any impact on waiting lists for social housing in the borough.

The announcement coincided with a parliamentary debate on the situation in Afghanistan following the Taliban takeover.

Cllr Kim Tanner said:
The situation in Afghanistan has come about so quickly and no one can fail to be moved and alarmed by what the population is going through. We are proud to have stepped up in the past to help victims of conflict elsewhere in the world and stand ready to do so again.

‘I would urge any private landlords able to offer good quality, affordable accommodation to come forward and work with our housing team so we can offer sanctuary to those whose lives and those of their families are at risk. I’m sure our residents will wish to join me in offering a warm welcome to any Afghan families that join our community.’

Any landlords able to offer accommodation are asked to get in touch with the council housing team via email at housing.services@tmbc.gov.uk.

More from WEST KENT NEWS

  • Bassetts Farm

    Councillors have approved the building of 120 new homes in the village of Horsmonden.

  • "Devastating" changes

    Leading Tunbridge Wells hospitality businesses have teamed up with the local MP Mike Martin to highlight cost rises which they say are "potentially ruinous".

  • Candidates Tonbridge

    The Green Party will be defending two seats in Tonbridge at the final Kent County Council elections on May 1st.

  • Candidates Tun Wells

    Most Tunbridge Wells residents will have 7 parties to choose from at the Kent County Council elections.

  • Due to Open in 2028

    Councillors have agreed on a central Tonbridge location for the replacement for the Angel Leisure Centre.

  • Vote on May 1

    Elections to Kent County Council take place next month for the last time before the authority is abolished.

  • Glare Concerns

    Sainsbury’s in Tunbridge Wells wants to install solar panels, prompting complaints from some local residents.

  • "More Efficient" Future

    Audio

    Tunbridge Wells MP Mike Martin of the Liberal Democrats has said local government changes in Kent will overall be "a good thing."

On Air Now Chris Manser 4:00pm - 7:00pm
Now Playing
I'll Have To Say I Love You In A Song Jim Croce
Recently Played
  • Lonely Boy Andrew Gold 16:15
  • A Thousand Miles Vanessa Carlton 16:10
  • Baby Come Back Pato Banton 16:07

COMING UP

  • Victoria Scott

    7:00pm - 8:00pm

    Pure 00's sponsored by Southborough Lions

  • Rayan C

    8:00pm - 10:00pm

    Ready For The Weekend